The Schuyler-Hamilton House is the former colonial home of Dr. Jabez Campfield, Revolutionary War doctor and officer. With his wife Sarah Ward, they moved from his native Newark to Morristown in 1765, living in this home to the end of their days. As such the house is also known as “The Jabez Campfield House”. During the Morristown Winter Encampment, of 1779-80, General Washington’s personal physician, Dr. John Cochran was billeted there. Mrs. Gertrude Cochran, the sister of of General Philip Schuyler of Albany, joined her husband. She invited General Philip’s daughter, her unmarried niece Elizabeth Schuyler, to join her in Morristown that winter hoping that the girl might make a suitable match. Elizabeth (Betsy) joined her aunt and uncle here in January of 1780.
Colonel Alexander Hamilton, General Washington’s Aide de Camp, paid court to Elizabeth Schuyler during that winter. After the approval of her father in April when he visited Morristown, they became engaged and were married in Albany December 1780.
Dr. Campfield resumed practice in Morristown and was a founder of the Morris Academy 1791, helped organize the first medical society of New Jersey, and spearheaded the founding of what became the first library in Morristown(1792). He was also the first Surrogate for Morris County in the USA, a founding member of the Order of the Cincinnati, and the Masons in NJ.
In 1923, the Morristown Chapter, NSDAR, purchased the property just before it was to be torn down. It was restored for occupancy and a museum by 1924; most of the furnishings were donated by members and their friends. It features a notable collection of tiger maple pieces in keeping with the style 1770-1812.
Updated November 12 , 2022